Monday, August 22, 2011

Those who wish to sing...

When I was a teenager I wanted to sing. I had been in my jr. high choir and had a blast, so I asked to join the the choir at church. One glorious Sunday afternoon, I was literally singing my heart out in front of God and the congregation when I noticed that my microphone wasn't on. Pointing to the offending mic, I mouthed to the choir director, "My mic isn't on." She mouthed back, "I know." That, my friends, was the heartrending end of my singing career.

Years later, while working on scrapbook, I came across this Swedish Proverb, " Those who wish to sing always find a song." I felt a little charge of electricity, an excitement, a knowing. That is exactly right; there is a song for each of us. Just because I wasn't gifted with a beautiful singing voice didn't mean I couldn't be a rock star with my long list of other talents (for those of us who don't know right out of the womb what we want to be/do with this life, I think we get to gather a bag full of skills and other fun things). But which talent to pursue, to cultivate, I am a MOM for goodness sake! I have been saying for years that I really don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I was getting desperate to find MY song.

Several months ago I enrolled to get certified to be a Life Coach. While I have had what is nothing short of a schizophrenic life path so far (cake decorator, frustrated interior decorator, PTA president, all on top of a degree in marketing), I am sure with every fiber of my being that this is absolutely the right path for me, my song.

I believe that we find and are connected with people for specific reasons. I want to share my journey here. If you are reading this, perhaps you are meant to share back. I hope so, it should be nothing short of interesting, that's for sure.

So what do you say, are you ready to join me for some singing lessons? (...and a little paper crafting while we are at it)


This is for the Mojo Monday Sketch. I used some new stamps I got from Stampers Anonymous and a new retro flower die I got from My Favorite Things. The paper is all from my stash.
Thanks so much for stamping by today and taking a minute to read my story!
Laura~

3 comments:

Joan Robertson said...

Love the sentiment and the art in the design of the stamp. I love the colors you used -they really add to the texture of the card.

KBP said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RuthieB said...

Laura! This whole story is so wonderful and the card and colors are awesome!!!! I so agree with you about our "song"! I'm glad someone finally turned your microphone on!

I thought I needed to be this big career person and finally learned that my family is what mattered and not some title by my name. I found my song in my family!