Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Gettin' Busy with Father's Day!

On the 20th of each month My Favorite Things has a special day called of all things MFT Day. It is a chance to showcase the stamps from the last release of whatever you feel like. Well, I got a few stamp sets when I got the Design Team spot that haven't seen ink yet. This set called Let's Hear it for the Boy was screaming for some ink and love.

Several weeks ago I ask if you would like to see a coloring tutorial, you said yes, so here you are...

I stamped the image onto watercolor paper with Brown Staz-on ink and selected the ink spots I wanted to use. I used the decorative paper to help with color selection.

With a blender pen touched to the ink pad, I start by coloring the edges of each element and moving the color inward. This adds depth and interest. As you can see, I use the edge around my image as a palette of sorts; checking and blending color as needed.
Once all the color has been added, I go back with Close to Cocoa and Chocolate Chip to add distressing and shading. I just love the aged look this gives to images.
So tell me what you think. I don't know if that was detailed enough. If it wasn't I will try again.

Thanks so much for stamping by!

Laura~


8 comments:

Sandra Smart said...

really helpful information, and very cute card!

Carrie said...

Thanks, I was wondering how you make your images look so good! Do you have a preference on a blender pen? Thanks for sharing.

Rosella said...

Thank you Laura. Your info and pictures are very helpful. What type of watercolor paper do you use?

Anonymous said...

Cute card! Thanks for describing this technique so well. I've attempted to do this, but never "got it" because I needed more in depth explanation...this was it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura~
Super cute card as always. I love the blending technique. I think it really makes your cards pop from the rest. THANK YOU so much for sharing the how to's with us. Hope all is well with you. I have to get time soon to sit & get caught up on posts. I feel like I am missing out. LOL Have a wonderful holiday weekend. *Ü* ~Janna

Jessie/knightrone said...

Okay, so you rock, what else is new, hehe!! LOVE the way you color girl, it is always so beautiful!! Thanks for the tutorial, maybe I will try it your way....

Cassie said...

this is awesome - the card and the tutorial. one question - do you have to really build up the color? do you have to re-ink the blender often - like every few strokes?

Diane Noble said...

I just LOVE it! I really want to expand my coloring capabilities. NEVER tried the stampin' spots with blender pens. Whoo-hoo! A new technique. Thanks for sharing!