Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Hawaiin Postcards

*edit* I entered this card in a contest. I will post the pic when I hear!

Hello! A wonderful friend asked me to make a card for her daughter who is getting married this weekend. This is a second wedding and she wanted a card that would reflect the couples easy going style. She mentioned a sort of Jimmy Buffet/island feel. This is what I came up with.

The palm tree and exotic flower is from Paper Salon, a set called Summer Fun. The postcard stamps are from Close to my Heart, Vintage Postcard. For the ocean scene I used sponge daubers to add the first layer of color and then went back to add detail with watercolor pencils and a blender pen. This card is pretty heavily sponged with Distress Ink. The leaf background stamps are also from Close to My Heart, Nature Walk. I added stickles to the waters edge for a little shimmer.




While I had this palm tree out and a million sheets of different tropical paper, I made another card with the same layout, but different colors and the hula chick and lots of sparkle. It's fun to see how the same stamp (palm tree) can take on such a different look. The sand on both cards is real and added with liquid glue.


Both cards are 5 1/4 x 5 1/4.

Thanks so much for stamping by!

Laura~


11 comments:

Sandra Smart said...

Hi Laura,...wow, both cards are awesome, but my favorite is the first one. What a great idea to make an out of "the norm" wedding card.

Dawn said...

These are both awesome. Love the beachy feel!

Carrie said...

Great cards! I love the square look:) Makes me want to go on a vacation! The first is my fav:) Thanks for sharing.

Carolyn King said...

FANTASTIC--i love them both. The first is stunning (love the side lacing) and the second--so much fun! Awesome girl!

Jessie/knightrone said...

Both of these are so awesome!! Love the top one, but the penguin one is so super cute!!

Tandra said...

OMGosh those are fantastic cards! LOVE the colors of each one, the sand, thes parkle!! The pink is my fave!!

Unknown said...

Hi Laura. I love the cards. The first is my favorite because it reminds me of Tommy. He would LOVE it because he has an addictive obsession with palm trees. His bday is on Monday, hint hint hint. lol.

C. Sage Deerborn said...

Oh, your hula penguin is so cute with all that bling! Love the sand thing.

Unknown said...

These are both fabulous! Totally want to go to the beach now!!

Jena said...

Great cards - that penguin is just TOO adorable! TFS!

Deborah Anton said...

OMGosh Laura!! This is darling and you are getting me to get these stamps of mine out!! I have had them for months and never been inked up!!! Great cards!!